Leadership CEC is a leadership development program for CEC members who have been nominated/selected for participation by a CEC unit or division. Leadership CEC is experience-based and designed to support new or emerging unit/division leaders in gaining a deeper understanding of the CEC organization, CEC governance, and unit/division leadership functions and competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities). Leadership CEC will also expand participants’ CEC networks and their potential leadership contributions to the Council.
Leadership CEC focuses on providing leadership content, hands-on experiences, networking, and coaching facilitated by the Leadership Development Committee and the Leadership Development Program Subcommittee. Learning opportunities are designed to enable participants to gain a better understanding of CEC governance, understand key CEC leadership roles and functions, participate in coaching and mentoring support, and participate in cross-unit/division/committee networking opportunities.
Information about the 2023-2024 cohort will be available after CEC 2023, March 1-4.
Learn More About Leadership CEC
Leadership CEC participants will:
- discover and apply strategies to strengthen an individual’s personal leadership style, knowledge, skills, and abilities,
- strengthen the leadership skills and influence of selected, elected, and/or appointed CEC leadership positions,
- establish mutually beneficial relationships with leadership peers across CEC,
- increase understanding of CEC’s current and long-standing successes, challenges, and opportunities and understand how CEC’s leadership structures support CEC’s vision and mission,
- identify new ways to have a purposeful impact in CEC, and
- collaborate with other inspired leaders to cultivate a successful and effective organization.
- The inaugural cohort will be enrolled with an understanding that this first year is a year of learning, exploring best practices, and refining the program. Participants will be informed of the need for flexibility as the program evolves throughout the first year.
- The program will enroll 20-25 participants. The estimated core from which the first cohort will be selected includes approximately 60 units/divisions. Up to two nominations will be accepted from each unit/division. Preference will be given to ensuring as many units/divisions as possible have this opportunity. Two participants from one unit/division will occur only if slots otherwise would go unfilled. Nominees’ profile information will be included on a demographics grid to ensure a cohort balance (geographic, unit/division size, gender, etc.).
- Commit to a one-year program.
- Complete a brief goals/interest survey.
- Sign a participation agreement (based on CEC committee/board agreement).
- Attend virtual monthly gatherings with program leaders and participants (12 total virtual sessions).
- Attend four facilitated governance network gatherings with program leaders providing CEC leadership information, resources, and opportunities to meet current CEC leaders (CEC officers and board members, unit/division leaders).
- Attend four facilitated community-based networking gatherings designed to provide and build each participant’s opportunity to connect, learn, and share with other Leadership CEC participants. These sessions may be job-alike networking sessions or organized around participants’ expressed goals and needs.
- Attend four facilitated synchronous or asynchronous one-hour professional development sessions.
- Access support from a CEC mentor/coach (optional program offered by CEC Leadership Development Committee and Leadership Development Program Subcommittee members).
- If possible, attend the CEC Leadership Institute (July 2022).
Meeting dates and times, with descriptions, goals, expectations, outcomes, will be provided to all participants and their sponsoring unit/division.
Facilitated Network Gatherings
- CEC Governance Networking
Four networking gatherings facilitated by program leaders. Gatherings will focus on CEC leadership, resources, and opportunities to meet current CEC leaders (CEC board members, CEC officers, unit/division leaders). First session to be scheduled May 2022.
- Community-based Networking
Four networking gatherings designed to provide and build each participant’s opportunity to connect, learn, and share with one another, i.e., other Leadership CEC participants. These sessions may be job-alike networking sessions or gatherings organized around participants’ expressed goals and needs.
Facilitated Professional Development
Synchronous/Asynchronous Professional Development
- Four facilitated synchronous or asynchronous one-hour professional development sessions. Program topics to be determined by Leadership CEC participants’ needs (survey), CEC specific topics, coordinated with Leadership Institute focus.
Legacy Coaching/Mentoring Program
- Mentoring/coaching during inaugural cohort, with LDPS/LDC members serving as mentors/coaches.
- In addition to individual support, an option might include a coaching model with pairs or triads.